● In 1936, aspecial unit for pharmacy training at National Shanghai Medical College was setup and began to enroll students. Professors Heng-Bi Zhu, Chang-Shao Zhang andYi Zhang were appointed the heads successively. Songde Hall, which was donatedby a patriotic entrepreneur, Song-Mao Xiang, was the first building and haswitnessed the birth of the school and the growth afterwards.
● In 1937, theChinese People’s War of Resistance against Japanese Aggression broke out. Thecampus of National Shanghai Medical College was occupied and the schoolcontinued the teaching in the Red-Cross Hospital (Now Huashan Hospital) inShanghai. In the summer of the year, the school was relocated to inland China, firstKunming then Chongqing.
●In 1945, theschool returned to the original campus. The dean of medical school, Prof. Heng-BiZhu, was concurrently appointed the head of the pharmacy training unit untilSep, 1949.
● In 1950, thepharmacy department of Institut Franco-Chinois were incorporated. Guo-Hao Linwas appointed the head, and Yu-Wan Wu, the associate head.
● In 1952, theUnit for Pharmacy Training was renamed as School of Pharmacy and became thefirst pharmacy school in medical college in China. Fu-Zhong Zhang was the firstdean of the school. Yu-Wan Wu and Jin-Ying Wang were the vice deansrespectively.
● In 1952, theDepartment of Pharmacy, School of Science, Zhejiang University wereincorporated into School of Pharmacy, Shanghai Medical College.
● In 1952, thediscipline of medicinal chemistry was established.
● In 1955, partof faculty and students in Department of Pharmacy, Zhejiang Medical Collegewere incorporated, and the school was renamed as Department of Pharmacy,Shanghai First Medical College.
● In 1958, thecontinuing education for pharmacy was set up.
● In 1959, theschool was authorized to enroll postgraduate students.
● In 1966, theCulture Revolution broke out and student enrollment were ceased for 6 years.
● In 1972, a3-year bachelor’s degree program was resumed to enroll students.
● In 1977,China resumed the college entrance examination. The department began to enrollstudents for two 4-year programs, which were pharmaceutics and chemicalpharmaceuticals (later changed to medicinal chemistry), respectively.
● In 1978, thediscipline of pharmacology was established.
● In 1978, thedepartment resumed to enroll postgraduate students.
● In 1981, the6 disciplines including pharmaceutics, pharmaceutical analysis, medicinalchemistry, biochemistry, pharmacology and pharmacognosy were authorized toaward master’s degrees.
● In 1984, thecontinuing education for pharmacy was resumed to enroll students.
● In 1986, thedepartment was renamed as School of Pharmacy, Shanghai Medical University.Professor Nian-Zhu Xi was appointed the first dean.
● In 1987, the5 secondary disciplines including pharmaceutics, medicinal chemistry,pharmacognosy, biochemistry and pharmacology were authorized to award doctor’sdegrees and doctoral candidates began to be enrolled ever after.
● In 1989 and1990, two classes of students were awarded the certificates for education inpharmacy after a short-term study.
● In 2000, theformer Shanghai Medical University and Fudan University merged, and the schoolwas renamed as School of Pharmacy, Fudan University accordingly.
● In 2000, theschool began to enroll students for higher vocational education in pharmacytill 2002.
●In 2008, theschool was relocated in Zhangjiang High-Tech Park, Pudong New District. Thecampus covers approximately 53,300 square meters and is composed of four majorbuildings with a total floor area of 25,000 square meters.